Senior Director of Digital Engagement
Job no: 522197
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: VC-University Advancement
Pay Grade: 34
Categories: Professional Staff Union (PSU)
The Senior Director of Digital Engagement serves as the Office of University Advancement and Alumni Engagement's point person for online content, with the primary objective of creating and implementing digital strategies to engage alumni and donors and deepen their connection to UMass Boston. Working closely with colleagues in the Advancement office as well as through active discovery, the Senior Director will utilize social media, email, and the web to enhance and further the connection UMass Boston alumni have with their alma mater and each other. Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Alumni Engagement and exercising a high degree of creativity, independence, and strategic thinking, the incumbent will measurably increase alumni engagement and participation through digital engagement. She/he also will work with our colleges, schools, institutes, and centers to promote communications that resonate with our alumni and friends.
Examples of Duties:
- Under the supervision of the AVC for Alumni Engagement and working collaboratively with members of the alumni engagement, stewardship, annual fund, and leadership giving teams, this role develops and implements digital strategies that engage alumni and donors and strategizes and defines the intersection of communications on our existing digital platforms.
- Oversee the strategy, aggregation, creation, and implementation of unique content across the four UMass Boston Alumni social media accounts and "BEACONConnect", posting content to engage and inform our alumni and donors and increase social media following.
- Establish relationships with alumni, friends, and members of university leadership and faculty, and share relevant news and updates from their social media accounts; directly respond to all user comments to social posts by posting and/or responding to commenters as appropriate; inform colleagues when alumni and donors post.
- Use social media marketing tools (currently Later) to schedule and track social posts; review key performance indicators to track progress and adjust strategy as needed; provide monthly engagement reports.
- Manage and update the alumni and advancement web sites working with university advancement colleagues to keep content on web pages fresh, engaging, user-friendly, and well-organized; keep abreast of new technologies and industry best practices and actively seek ways for the department's online presence to be more effective by suggesting new features and integrating new tools.
- Analyze web site traffic, provide monthly reports, and as needed develop and implement strategies for driving new visitors to both the alumni and advancement web sites utilizing knowledge of SEO, keyword search, and Google analytics.
- Ensure accuracy, appropriate messaging and consistency of style, text and best practices across all UMass Boston alumni online platforms, including proofreading and editing text for style and accuracy, focusing on consistency, spelling and punctuation, and appropriate look and feel.
- Work with departments outside of Advancement to build emails, automations, and journeys using our email marketing platform (currently Salesforce Marketing Cloud); assist the Alumni Engagement and Annual Fund teams with emails and event registration pages as appropriate.
- Measure all email subscribers' engagement by analyzing opens and clicks and create monthly reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, Journalism, Marketing or a closely related field, a minimum of five to seven years of professional experience and demonstrated expertise on social media, email marketing, and/or website management is required. Fluency with social media sites, including but not limited to Facebook, lnstagram, Linkedln, Twitter/X, and TikTok is required. Professional experience working in an academic environment is preferred as is experience with video production and video editing software and graphic design including but not limited to Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere and Canva.
- Proficiency in using technology, such as desktop publishing and e-newsletter software.
- Knowledge and comfort with multimedia and technology.
- Ability to work effectively on a team.
- Ability to work under time pressures and meet specific deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to coordinate and work with others to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including capacity to respond to criticism.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact HRDirect@umb.edu or 617-287-5150.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend