Job no: 522313
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: IT Comm & Infrastructure Serv
Pay Grade: 33
Categories: Information Technology, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
Working in a team environment, the Network Engineer is responsible for assisting in the development and design of University networks, as well as the day-to-day management and health of such networks, including network analysis and design, configuration and deployment, related performance testing, maintenance and management of network growth and capacity, and network security administration. The incumbent is responsible for all network related reports, performing security risk assessments and assisting in the development and implementation of network policies and procedures, as well as in the growth, service and expansion of the university network. The incumbent will adhere to prescribed industry guidelines and standards for data networks. The position may require work at nights and on weekends in support of network activities, emergencies and events.
Examples of Duties:
- Assist with identifying, interpreting, and evaluating system, network and security requirements; searching technical alternatives and analyzing technical options; and developing project plans.
- Assist with reviewing design; preparing integration plans for new processes, protocols and equipment; recommending selection of architecture, topology, hardware and software; preparing capacity and throughput plans; specifying servers and supporting hardware; specifying wired and wireless facilities; and integrating network components.
- Responsible for installing, configuring, monitoring, maintaining, upgrading, troubleshooting, etc. various network hardware, software and associated components as related to the day-to-day operation of the university network. And consistent with network and other related plans.
- Document and implement system configuration; support, track and document change implementation and implement deployment.
- Define and document test specifications; develop test plans and procedures; schedule and preform testing; document, interpret and report test results; preform final network tests before deployment; and perform functional verifications and systems audits.
- Set up and maintain user accounts; coordinate, communicate and document changes; analyze system performance and baseline; monitor and report component and connectivity problems; make recommendations for system optimization and improvement in security; monitor capacity to ensure required service levels; manage and implement contingency and emergency recovery plans.
- Develop maintenance and upgrade plans; coordinate maintenance for all campus networks; apply maintenance upgrades, security enhancements and process changes; perform systems backups and restore data; troubleshoot and maintain client, server and network systems; develop and recommend growth and capacity plans.
- Gather and document security requirements; design and document security plans; implement and enforce system and user security requirements; maintain, improve and enhance security in response to industry developments and user experience; detect, monitor and report security problems; contribute to and develop recommendations for long range security plans.
- Actively participate in the network design process to ensure full scope of network life cycle is accounted for and deployed as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Manage the process of monitoring and/or controlling network traffic to ensure efficient operation of the network.
- Perform hardware and/or software bandwidth analysis to provide comparative data of network and associated system performance.
- Identify, communicate and document approaches, changes, issues and/or results of network installation, configuration, monitoring, maintenance, upgrading, troubleshooting, etc., as well as training materials.
- Manage DNS/DHCP server(s) and other related network functions.
- Coordinate network related activities with departmental, campus and UMass system groups.
- Disseminate and pursue the divisions’ missions, philosophy and operational principles; secure the interests of the campus in university-wide and other external IT related activities.
- Assist in evaluating network group processes.
- Coordinate and implement solutions from process analysis and general network group projects.
- Analyze and document business processes and problems and develop solutions to enhance efficiencies.
- Serve on committees and teams as network group representative.
- Assist with Negotiation with vendors for network equipment and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, in Information Technology Management, Computer Science or a closely related field, and/or at least 3-5 years of progressive experience as a Network engineer, primarily responsible for a large university or business network is required; 2500+ nodes preferred. Knowledge of design, administration and maintenance of extreme and Aruba networks is preferred.
The following experience is required:
- Network Management experience.
- Excellent trouble shooting skills.
- Ability to produce accurate documentation of networks.
- IP address space planning, design and documentation.
The following experience is preferred:
- Experience with configuration and management of layer 3 networking capabilities (e.g., VOIP, QoS), wireless networks and related protocols (802.11a/b/g/n) and Virtual Private Networks in a university or business environment.
- Industry standards certification or equivalent or demonstrated proficiency in TCP/IP and routing protocols (OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP, RTMP, BGP, BGP4).
- Demonstrated technical experience related to studying and analyzing needs in order to perform capacity and performance analysis of network.
- Demonstrates proficiency with DNS/DHCP/WINS, network management software or equivalent product and packet sniffing products.
- Experience with Ethernet topologies and protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP. SSL, LDAP, MAPI, SNMP, RMON, Radius, CHAP, IPX/SPX, NetBIOS, NetBEUI, Apple Talk, VLANs, IP SUBNETTING, ETC).
- Ability to articulate and demonstrate commitment to the philosophy, values, mission and vision of the Division of Communications and Infrastructure Services and Information Technology and inspire active support to others.
- Ability to schedule, organize and prioritize multiple simultaneous work activities to utilize efficiently and meet objectives.
- Ability to perform host related security risk assessments.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management and team members.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and technical; writing skills required.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact HRDirect@umb.edu or 617-287-5150.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend