About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Greets patients, registers demographic and insurance information in the patient management system (EMR). Schedules appointments. Functions as clinic receptionist. Processes payments and patient records. Works under the direct supervision of the Referral & Reception Manager, who establishes work schedules, duty assignments and verifies work performance.
- Greets patients in person and on the telephone, ensures accuracy of patient demographic and insurance information by entering or updating data on the UHS patient management system (EMR). Registers all patients in the EMR, including Amherst and Hampshire Colleges and after hours’ patients. Explains provisions of registration, health plans and insurance plans. Sends pertinent information to patients. Prints fact sheets with accurate and updated patient information at time of each arrival.
- Responsible for clinical organization which includes reviewing daily provider and patient appointments; verifying appropriate health records are available; daily appointment grids are distributed; cash drawers are prepared and any scheduling conflicts are reported to the Referral & Reception Services Manager.
- Completes patient encounter forms, taking detailed telephone messages, faxing information when requested by a provider, and requesting patient health records as required. Assists in completion of referral paperwork.
- Directs calls to proper clinics, triage nurse and/or other departments based on caller needs & level or urgency.
- Uses on-line health insurance products to review insurance coverage and eligibility.
- Schedules appointments for both routine and same-day needs. Schedules in-house follow-up appointments as required by providers. Records patient cancellations and failure to keep appointments in the patient health record. Telephones patients with appointment reminders.
- Receives cash, checks and credit card insurance co-payments and fee-for-service payments. Reconciles daily cash receipts.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times utilizing current HIPAA guidelines.
- Maintains knowledge and familiarity with all UHS policies and procedures pertinent to role.
- Performs related duties requested by the Referral & Reception Services Manager; including preparing and mailing patient invoices, preparing and mailing routine correspondence to be sent to plan members. Assignment to special clinics as needed.
- Participates in UHS tracking system by entering data in computerized patient management system.
- Coverage may be required to cover after hours, weekends and holidays.
- Participates in annual UHS training's, skills review and competency evaluations.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Referral & Reception Services Manager.
- Interacts respectfully with staff and patients to promote a harmonious work environment.
- Essential staff and required to work on snow days.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Education and Experience
- Associate Degree from an accredited Medical Assistant Program or equivalent Medical Office experience or successful completion of certification for Certified Medical Assistant.
- Computer experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of basic hospital/clinic practice management and medical terminology.
- Knowledge of insurance plans.
- Good oral & written communication skills including telephone etiquette.
- Ability to carry out duties requiring physical work.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Use of UHS Medicat patient management system.
- Retrieval of medical records.
- Insurance and patient registration components unique to UHS.
- Understanding of UHS policies and procedures.
- Documentation unique to UHS.
- Skill in ordering supplies from in-house central supply.
- Daily clinic & urgent care routine.
- M-F 8:30am - 4:30pm. Occasional weekend coverage, Saturday & Sunday 11:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Full-time, minimum 35-week position.
Pay Grade 11, Step 1
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for the position, please submit your application along with a cover letter and contact information for three references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.