Maintainer I - Custodial Services
Job no: 498195
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Custodial Services
Pay Grade: 09
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs routine manual tasks as assigned; perform related work as required within the Bldg & Grounds Services Dept.
- Removes trash and waste from premises as required and places outside building in appropriate area. Washes trash and waste receptacles as required by scrubbing containers and rinsing with hose to provide sanitary conditions and minimize pest infestation.
- Clean bathrooms including: toilets, urinals, sinks, bathtubs, showers (where applicable), shelves, stall partitions, floor area, walls, drains, mirrors and ventilation units, to ensure clean, sanitary and disinfected area. Also replenish paper products, soap products and sanitary napkin dispensers.
- Maintains walls, ceilings, doors, furniture, and horizontal surfaces as required by dusting and/or washing with a detergent solution to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Cleans interior glass as required by washing with a glass cleaning solution, washes windows outside.
- Maintains carpet areas as required by vacuuming, shampooing and spot removing.
- Maintains hard floor surfaces as required, by sweeping, wet or dry mopping, stripping and waxing.
- Keeps exterior areas immediately adjacent to buildings clean by sweeping and assists in snow removal by shoveling snow from landings and entryways.
- Maintains equipment in order to keep all machinery in good working condition.
- Replaces light bulbs and/or fluorescent tubes as required and wash light fixtures to maintain a safe and well-lighted environment.
- Moves and arranges furniture as required in order to provide an attractive facility. May be required to lay down and remove tarpaulins and set up and knock down chairs and tables on the premises for University functions.
- Removes water from areas caused by but not limited to leaks, water line breaks, clogged drains, overflows, rainstorms and roof leaks, utilizing wet vacuums, pumps, mops and pails, floor squeegees etc. to prevent damage to and maintain an attractive facility.
- Cleans offices, classrooms, laboratories, corridors, stairwells, elevators, blackboards, water fountains, and other spaces in assigned buildings, using various materials and equipment to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Maintain orderly custodial closet and follows instructions on the proper use of materials, supplies and equipment.
- May be required to deliver packages within the building.
- Maintains entryways and entryway mats as required by sweeping, mopping and vacuuming.
- Lock and unlock premises.
- Performs simple general repairs by replacing belts, tightening screws and cleaning equipment and other related minor repairs.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to physically perform manual tasks, climb stairs, climb ladders, lift and bend.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods and under varying climatic conditions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods and under varying climatic conditions
This position is a maintenance function, which includes the obligation to work overtime and to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed. It is your responsibility to update the service desk with your current phone numbers.
Monday - Friday, 5:00 am - 1:00 pm
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend