About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provide administrative and office support to the Assistant Athletic Director for Administration and Executive Staff to assist in the day-to-day management of the Director of Athletics Office. Responsible for supporting organization of UMass Department of Athletics, with an additional focus on special events and select varsity program events, at the discretion of the Assistant Athletic Director for Administration. Assist the department’s initiatives for student-athlete recognition
- Handle multiple administrative tasks and support for the office of the Director of Athletics at the direction of the Assistant Athletic Director of Administration. These tasks include, but are not limited to, greeting office guests, screening and directing incoming telephone calls for and taking accurate messages; providing quality customer service and information to internal and external visitors such as students, faculty, staff and the general public; coordinating meetings (including but not limited to, reserving space, securing necessary equipment and ordering food if appropriate); composing and typing general correspondence, memos, reports, schedules and other materials as assigned; preparing and coordinating mailings; organizing and maintaining office files; and opening, stamping, and sorting mail and other office materials.
- Assist with calendar organization and maintenance for the Director of Athletics.
- Assist the department’s initiatives for student-athlete recognition, including, but not limited to; annual SAMY’s Awards, National Student-Athlete Appreciation Day events, Varsity M Graduation Breakfast and other scholar recognition opportunities.
- Provide support for the organization of UMass Department of Athletics Special Events. Includes, but not limited to, home contest support such as game day hospitality and guest services, NCAA post-season contest(s) and special alumni events such as the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.
- Work in conjunction with the Assistant Athletic Director for Administration to arrange travel and accommodations for the Director of Athletics.
- Assist with the logistical aspects of events and programs run by Executive Staff and the Athletic Director’s Office. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating mailings, dissemination of information via appropriate method (email, mail, voicemail, etc.), collecting and processing RSVPs and payments, booking rooms and food, coordinating registration the day of the event, invoicing participants if necessary, and working with the business office on processing of expenses and/or revenue related to the event.
- Assist Executive Staff with processing applicable purchasing documentation related to expenditures. This includes obtaining quotes, W9 forms, completing purchase order request forms, and forwarding documentation to the Business Office staff for authorization and processing of the expenditure.
- Inventory, order, and monitor office supplies for the Athletic Director’s Office. This includes, but is not limited to, general office supplies, ink cartridges, paper, letterhead, business cards, printing service, central duplicating requests, etc.
- Provide administrative support to department search committees including mailings, setting up meetings, booking travel and accommodations, processing resumes and administering tours of campus.
- Assist with organization of the Athletic Director’s Adidas inventory and prepare and process gear box (apparel) requests.
- Coordinate sponsorship/ticket requests. Keep spreadsheet of processed requests.
- Strictly adheres to NCAA, conference, and University rules and regulations.
- Attends meetings and training sessions as required.
Perform other administrative functions as may be required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma required.
- Ability to multi task and handle last minute problems and changes.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to develop effective work procedures.
- Well-developed organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records.
- Working knowledge of computer programs such as email, Internet, Works, Word, and Excel.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Work experience in higher education preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Extended periods of standing
- Some lifting, bending and carrying
- Some driving - may be asked to perform job-related errands
- Evenings and weekend work required
M – F 8:30 – 5:00 with some evenings and weekends
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit application, along with cover letter and resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.