Head Rowing Coach & Boathouse Manager
Job no: 500881
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Campus Recreation
Pay Grade: P16
General Summary of Position:
The Head Rowing Coach and Boathouse Manager oversees all UMass Lowell Rowing programs including the men’s and women’s rowing club and summer rowing activities as well as coordinates all boathouse and on water activities of the UMass Lowell Bellegarde Boathouse users.
UMASS LOWELL ROWING
• Supervise/Coach UMass Lowell Men’s and Women’s Club Rowing to include up to 75-100 student athletes.
• Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate a minimum of 3 part-time assistant rowing coaches.
• Responsible for generating a minimum of $75,000 annually through fund raising and team dues.
• Oversee daily practices, race weekends, team schedule and overall direction of the team.
• Responsible for on and off campus recruiting.
• Implement effective short term and long term equipment planning
• Maintain all rowing shells and coaching launches in safe working order.
• Manage rowing club website
• Responsible for managing the rowing equipment at the Bellegarde Boathouse , including but not limited to: purchasing suggestions, daily cleanliness schedules and inspections, routine maintenance, interactions with boathouse equipment vendors.
• Ability to drive a coaching launch.
• Coordinate programming activities of the various boathouse user groups including: UMass Lowell Rowing Club, Lowell High School Rowing, the Merrimac River Rowing Association, Tsongas Industrial History Center, UMass Lowell Kayak Center, Lowell Rowing Regatta Association and Hospitality Services.
• Insure all programs are operating in a safe manner and in compliance with the UMass Lowell Bellegarde Boathouse Safety Manual, State and Federal Law, and nationally recognized water sports organizations.
• Coordinate the boathouse calendar using 25Live software.
• Coordinate seasonal user group meetings and foster close working relationships between users.
• Recruit, hire, train, and supervise all staff necessary to operate and supervise boathouse programs and operations.
• Coordinate the seasonal installation and removal of docks.
• Monitor water levels and weather to protect UMass Lowell equipment in the case of inclement weather.
REGATTA SUPERVISION AND MANAGEMENT
• Supervise/all regatta activities taking place at the boathouse.
• Maintain active membership on the Lowell Rowing Regatta Association
• Participate in planning of all regattas including high school, college, and masters rowing competitions.
• Ensure regattas compliance with Department of Conservation & Recreation, Harbor Master, and City of Lowell regulations.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years rowing coaching experience
- Previous experience implementing water safety procedures
- Experience in supervising large regattas
- Previous experience working with college aged students
- Experience with minor boat repairs
- US Rowing Coaching Certification
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend