About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This position performs administrative, project, and executive support activities associated with the Associate Chancellor for Compliance, Controller and Budget Offices, and other departments in Administration & Finance as needed. Performs job functions independently, referring to supervisor only in unusual cases for advice and/or discussion.
- Oversee and administer the day-to-day activities of the office; schedule meetings, develop policies, procedures, and systems which ensure productive and efficient office operation.
- Recommend methods for improvement of procedures and coordination of departmental functions; prepare operating and procedures manuals.
- Process expense reimbursements for the Associate Chancellor for Compliance, Controller, Budget Office and other departments as assigned.
- Serve as HR personnel coordinator for Controller, Procurement & Campus Services, Budget Office and other Administration & Finance MBUs as required.
- Receive, log, code and distribute incoming check payments for Research Accounting, ProCard Audit, Accounts Payable, etc.
- Oversees the operation of office accounts, and plans and monitors expenditures.
- Performs research and analysis on specific issues, as required, and independently prepares non-routine letters and/or reports, which may be highly sensitive and confidential in nature.
- Create and monitor contracts and purchase orders for the Associate Chancellor for Compliance, Controller, Budget Office and other departments as assigned.
- Serve as liaison to the University’s Internal Audit division. Report Amherst campus financial losses to ensure adherence to the state’s internal control standards as required by Chapter 647 of the Acts of 1989.
- Compile and process data for Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Act as liaison between department and other departments on assigned administrative matters.
- Serve as Records Manager for Controller ProCard holders.
- Provide assistance in the understanding and interpretation of University policies and procedures, as appropriate, and ensures that office operations are in compliance with policy provisions and standards.
- Supervise student employees.
- Undertake special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Understands, is committed to and implements University and departmental affirmative action and non-discrimination regulations and policies.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma and a minimum of three years clerical and administrative support experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have experience working in a team setting with time-sensitive requirements for processing financial information.
- Must be able to handle highly confidential information with solid judgment and discretion.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to lead and train staff.
- Word processing and/or data entry skills.
- Knowledge of office management principles and procedures.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Skills in the use of database management, word processing, spreadsheet, and/or presentation software.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Knowledge of human resources administration principles and practices.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
PeopleSoft and BuyWays experience preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (37.5 hours per week)
Salary schedule: https://www.umass.edu/humres/sites/default/files/USA%20AFSCME%20PSU%20B%20NU%20Salary%20Schedule%205.1.19.pdf
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applicants will begin on June 25, 2019. Submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. The position posting will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.