About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assist providers with patient care including clerical, medical and organizational tasks consistent with University Health Services (UHS) organizational guidelines and under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Physician Assistant (PA) or Physician (MD). Works under the direct supervision of the RN Clinical Manager, who establishes work schedules, duty assignments and verifies work performance.
- Checks provider schedules and organizes patient flow; greet and accompany patients to exam room, collect patient history and perform intake assessments per organizational guidelines.
- Performs and maintains skill level consistent with organization's guidelines for the administration of medications and/or injections done under the supervision of an NP/PA., or MD which include but are not limited to the following: Set-up and initiation of nebulizer treatments; Applies oxygen delivery system at correct flow rates; Administers immunizations and TB tests per UHS protocol.
- Performs basic wound care, suture removal, ear irrigation, blood glucose monitoring and assists provider with minor procedures including cast applications.
- Prepares appropriate and complete documentation for all patient care activities including telephone encounters while maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Maintains proper handling and storage of hazardous materials (biohazards, corrosives, sharps).
- Performs specimen collection and decentralized laboratory testing including documentation.
- Takes routine and postural vital signs, performs peak flow measurement and pulse oximetry, EKGs, vision screening, spirometry.
- Performs routine orthopedic care, crutch/cane instruction, application of air splints, ace wraps and other splints and cast removal.
- Maintains and monitors proper temperature control for vaccine storage.
- Performs receptionist duties as needed, which includes but is not limited to appointment scheduling including verification of insurance coverage and patient demographics utilizing the computerized patient management system.
- Assists with referrals, preauthorization and completing various forms/requisitions as needed to expedite patient care.
- Participates in medical tracking system which includes maintaining accurate data entry including appropriate documentation and informing provider of pertinent information.
- Uses Universal Precautions when exposed to blood and body fluids.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times utilizing current Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines.
- Maintains adequate levels of supplies in all exam rooms; orders medical and office supplies as needed; performs duties specific to the daily opening and closing of clinics; assists in general housekeeping of the clinic to maintain a safe and clean working environment. Maintains knowledge of equipment and supplies pertinent to clinical operations.
- Participates in annual UHS trainings, skills review and competency assessments. Maintains knowledge and familiarity with UHS policies & procedures.
- Interacts respectfully with patients understanding and promoting patient rights. Promotes a harmonious work environment with co-workers.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Certified Medical Assistant required
- Computer experience.
- Ability to carry out written and verbal instructions.
- Working knowledge of basic hospital/clinic practices, techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Good oral & written communication skills including telephone etiquette.
- Basic knowledge of insurance plans.
- Ability to physically lift & transfer patients.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) preferred.
- Prior experience in an outpatient healthcare facility preferred.
- CPR certification preferred.
- Experience with electronic medical records preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical outpatient healthcare facility activity. Physically able to lift & transfer patients.
Qualifications Acquired on Job (knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Understanding of UHS policies & procedures.
- Knowledge of daily clinic and urgent care routine.
- Basic CPR certification.
- Knowledge of computerized practice management system.
- Knowledge documentation unique to UHS.
- Knowledge of insurance and patient registration.
- Additional skills required for UHS procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of medical records retrieval.
- Skill in ordering supplies from in-house central supply.
- Participates in on-call, after hours, holiday & weekend coverage.
- Is essential staff, required to work on snow days.
- May be assigned to specialty clinics as needed.
- 35 Week Minimum
- M-F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.50 hours per week)
- Some evenings. Some weekend on-call.
Grade 11, Step 1
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.