About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Assistant Director Auxiliary Enterprises IT coordinates, implements and administers business processes and software applications for Auxiliary Enterprise (AE) operations. Responsible for application best practices, network and application security, including PCI-DSS compliance of AE applications, development of AE operational strategies, including coordination and collaboration across business operations, business continuity planning and business improvement. This position has multiple technical, operational and administrative responsibilities and works across the division of Auxiliary Enterprises with significant interactions with IT, A&F and other campus departments, and off campus vendors. Also receives general direction from AE Director of Finance as it relates to business processes and business improvements.
- Plans, develops and implements cross-departmental business operation improvements utilizing business systems such as Point of Sale[Micros], Timekeeping[Kronos], Sales and Catering[Delphi]; utilizes business process modeling and other methodologies to improve and streamline current business processes for efficiency and effectiveness. Advises on training development to ensure full accurate use of systems and applications
- Provide direction and assist in continuing analysis, evaluation and development effort to modify and enhance the systems and in defining scope, design and detailed requirements of that effort. Assists in allocating resources, defining priorities and project requirements, and overseeing the design, build and implementation of software systems.
- Manages the IT applications support team within Auxiliary Enterprises with an emphasis on customer service. Provides day-to-day administration, maintenance and operational support to Auxiliary Enterprises and other campus departments utilizing Auxiliary Enterprise applications. Includes operational implementation, administration and reconciliation of AE’s systems including remotely updating. Participate in off-hour on-call rotation and for urgent problem resolution.
- Provide project management and coordination when exploring new or upgraded business systems to ensure proper integration between new, upgraded, and exisiting systems supporting Auxiliary Enterprises to provide for better operational efficiencies.
- Work closely with functional area staff to analyze current and future business processes within and among business systems in Auxiliary Enterprises. Lead and participate in the re-design of selected processes using a structured methodology.
- Develops and maintains appropriate reports using a variety of front-end tools for measuring operational performance, development and growth. Monitors, measures and compiles statistical reports for management.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer science or related field with 5 years current experience developing, enhancing, and supporting business information systems.
- Highly motivated and organized with a strong sense of initiative for identifying information resources and solving problems, and be dedicated to developing relationships with team members, colleagues and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, judge staff skills and delegate appropriately, with an emphasis on customer service.
- Demonstrated competency in tailoring software systems to support operations and to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to develop and utilize measurable techniques to improve business processes preferably in hospitality industry
- Demonstrated ability to meet critical deadlines and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and software quickly and without formal training.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Strong knowledge of time and attendance, point of sale, sales and catering business information systems
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Required to work some nights
- Required to work some weekends
Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Salary commensurate with experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references by September 24, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.