About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Full time Lab Assistant to coordinate multiple aspects of the research program in the laboratory of Dr. Ilia Karatsoreos to include a broad array of general lab operations management, experimental design and implementation, data processing and analysis. This includes management of general lab operations, as well as contributions to the research goals of the lab.
- Maintaining laboratory supplies and equipment; organizing and streamlining laboratory processes (protocols, record keeping, use logs etc.).
- Maintain and update Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee protocols.
- Maintain and update Environmental Health and Safety protocols.
- Maintain and update electronic repository of laboratory protocols.
- Undertake tissue collection and analysis at multiple levels (molecular, protein, physiological).
- Animal colony management (breeding plans, census etc.).
- Assist undergraduate and graduate student research assistants (including both student employees and students receiving academic credit for assisting in laboratory) in data collection and processing.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- In the performance of work, take initiative, be creative, and operate with self-direction.
- Will be given opportunities to acquire skills in experimental design, data collection, processing, and analysis, and to design, conduct research.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor of science in Neuroscience, Biology, Physiology or related field.
- Ability to work independently to organize multiple tasks and set priorities for action, take initiative, be creative, and operate with self direction in a fast-paced laboratory environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to organize and prioritize goals; ability to collaborate well to formulate plans and objectives.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Some previous biological laboratory experience is required.
- Expertise with word processing and database programs (e.g. MSWord, Excel etc.)
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Standard biological sciences wet lab
40 hours a week, Monday – Friday
Special Instructions to Applicants
Term of employment will be for one (1) year.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.