About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Temporary, part-time position, located at the UMass Cranberry Station in East Wareham, MA. Assist in laboratory analysis and with field programs for water quality monitoring at the UMass Cranberry Station.
Examples of duties:
- Manage lab and oversee daily duties relating to field experiments.
- Unsupervised collection of data from field and lab studies as needed.
- Conduct study design and research analysis as appropriate
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Operate motor vehicles as needed.
- Record and compile data related to research program.
- Keep lab clean.
- Out of state travel as needed.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative and operate with self-direction.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Basic working knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, word processing and internet.
- Experience in lab and field research.
- Experience managing research project.
- Strong interest in science.
- Ability to work independently to organize multiple tasks and set priorities for action, take initiative and operate with self-direction in a fast-paced office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to organize and prioritize goals; ability to collaborate well to formulate plans and objectives in accordance with overall college goals; ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Valid driver’s license.
- Lab safety training.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Must be able to work on uneven terrain.
- Must be able to lift 70 pounds.
Part-time (3 days per week /24 hours per week)
$17.00 per hour
Temporary, non-benefited position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume with application. Apply by January 21, 2020 for priority consideration. Search may remain open until a suitable candidate pool is identified.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. http://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.