About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This position serves as the executive leader for the Classification & Compensation and Talent Acquisition functions within the Office of Human Resources. It is a champion of HR strategic initiatives and must lead with a commitment to continuous improvement.The Senior Director leads HR’s continuing efforts to build more efficient classification and compensation workflows and maximize the effectiveness of its search processes. The Senior Director manages two distinct, yet interrelated teams and serves as a mentor to several HR professionals. The Senior Director serves as a member of the HR Leadership Team.
CLASSIFICATION AND COMPENSATION STRATEGY, including:
• Establishing consistent and effective ways to triage and prioritize class/comp requests;
• Working with University partners, including HR representatives and labor unions, to adjust and improve internal processes;
• Building comprehensive training programs covering topics such as position description drafting and creating compensation philosophies;
• Implementing new programs that more clearly establish career paths for University employees;
• Responding to multiple annual compensation surveys.
TALENT ACQUISITION STRATEGY, including:
• Continually refining and improving search processes;
• Serving as a partner to the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs to build effective faculty recruitment tools and processes;
• Building an effective strategy for training and supporting search committees;
• Creating opportunities to increase the diversity of applicant pools through a combination of outreach strategies, community partnerships, and mitigation of search biases;
• Assisting in training supervisors and managers on best practices;
• Building a comprehensive onboarding and orientation program for university employees;
• Ensuring search process compliance with applicable federal and state regulations.
HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATION, including:
• Working as part of a collaborative team of HR professionals and serving as a member of the HR Leadership Team;
• Representing the Office of Human Resources as a strategic partner to campus leadership, colleges, school, and units;
• Responding to information requests;
• Partnering with HR colleagues at other UMass campuses;
• Leading or assisting with strategic HR projects and initiatives;
• Preparing and/or making formal presentations to all levels of university leadership, as necessary;
• Mentoring and leading a team of dedicated professionals;
• Advising labor relations representatives on bargaining matters related to Talent Management.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in classification and compensation, plus one to two years of talent acquisition experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a confidential environment
- Exceptional levels of professionalism and tact
- Ability to successfully work with diverse constituencies
- Experience managing other professionals
- Advanced understanding of various statistical analyses used within a compensation framework
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- In-depth technical knowledge of classification concepts related to civil service and bargaining unit employee systems
- Experience implementing collective bargaining agreement classification articles
- Experience in higher education
- Proven ability to build strong rapport with labor unions
- CCP Certification
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Salary commensurate with experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure consideration for the position, please submit your application, resume, and cover letter by January 31, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.