Digital Communications Editor
Job no: 506314
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Pay Grade: 32
Categories: Other Staff Positions, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
The Digital Communications Editor is a member of the university’s central Office of Communications and serves as the university’s point person for web content, with the primary objective of enhancing and furthering UMass Boston’s mission and digital brand. The incumbent oversees the strategy, aggregation and editing of content across all UMass Boston web sites affiliated with the umb.edu domain; oversees the day-to-day updating of web content; and works with colleges, divisions, centers, and institutes to assist in creating and maintaining sub-sites.
Examples of Duties:
- Manage the day-to-day web content activities for the Office of Communications; prioritize work and troubleshoot issues, including developing new material by gathering relevant content from departments, organizing and repurposing existing content, and, when necessary, assisting departments in creating new content for the site;
- Develop and manage a content strategy to extend the university’s online brand across all media channels and all current, as well as future websites, focusing on audience needs, content value and usability throughout the online creation process;
- Provide website content and design strategies; create and maintain training documents and organize training sessions for internal users working on individual web sections;
- Pitch and write stories; for posting to the website, and other appropriate venues; develop other web and print content and manage web content contributors;
- Ensure accuracy, appropriate messaging and consistency of style, text and best practices across all UMass Boston sites, including proofreading and editing text for style and accuracy, focusing on consistency, spelling and punctuation, and appropriate look and feel;
- Develop graphic standards and visual hierarchy requirements for the web to ensure that sub-sites and social media sites are consistent with the university’s online brand image;
- Analyze site traffic, organize usability testing and filter test results for recommended improvements to the university’s web site; develop and implement marketing strategies (online and traditional) for driving new visitors to the university’s web site;
- Keep abreast of new technologies and industry best practices and actively seek ways for the college’s web presence to be more effective by suggesting new features, integrating new tools and researching changes in web technologies;
- Develop and execute strategies to support media outreach efforts and assist with the office’s other communications and media efforts, as needed;
- Manage “In the Media” news feed on the home page and produce regular web traffic reports to assess web content strategy;
- Manage the university’s homepage content, including submitted pictures, blogs and media hits;
- Manage user comments to news stories by posting and/or responding to commenters, if appropriate
- As needed, distribute daily electronic clips featuring news about UMass Boston and its faculty, staff, and students;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing or a closely related field and a minimum of five-seven years of professional experience in news, marketing and/or web writing/editing or web publishing is required. Demonstrated experience with social media and website management is required. Familiarity with social media sites, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, Instagram and Google+ is required. Professional experience in an academic environment is preferred. Experience with video production and video edit software, including but not limited to Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere, is preferred.
- Proficiency in using technology, such as desktop publishing and e-newsletter software;
- Knowledge and comfort with multimedia and technology;
- Ability to work effectively on a team;
- Ability to work under time pressures and meet specific deadlines;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities simultaneously;
- Ability to coordinate and work with others to accomplish assigned tasks;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including capacity to respond to criticism;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend