Job no: 506400
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: Unified Procurement Serv Team
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Categories: Business & Financial Services, Procurement
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Procurement, the Category Manager is an experienced procurement professional who can assist with the development of a strategic vision and operational plan to maximize business opportunities through effective Category Management & Process Execution. The incumbent will act as the single point of contact and should exhibit the ability to manage all operations related to sourcing and procurement activities for direct assigned categories.
- Identify and execute strategic initiatives within the categories mentioned above to drive maximum cost savings and value creation for the organization.
- Partner closely with key stakeholder teams to understand critical business needs and support development of strategies to address.
- Support the development of specific category strategies for the assigned spend categories, including market research/benchmarks, milestones, savings targets, resource requirements, and implementation plans.
- Manage and execute all steps of the strategic sourcing process including developing RFPs, negotiating with suppliers, conducting bid analysis, and making supplier recommendations.
- Provide aggregate reporting on category performance and key metrics such as savings and supplier performance.
- Monitor and research industry trends as well as “Best Practices” and adopt them as appropriate for assigned spend categories.
- Manage internal customer relationships through cross functional engagement and develop deep category knowledge in the assigned category areas.
- Conduct supplier performance management initiatives and drive continuous improvement.
- Monitor supplier performance to ensure that delivery dates and technical and contractual requirements are met. Participate in strategic meetings with suppliers and business leaders to ensure execution of defined strategies
- Manages day-to-day on-going category supplier relations and seeks out growth or revision opportunities within supply base. Acts as the internal point of contact for supplier management and complaint resolution; conducts regular supplier meetings and implements improvement strategies with suppliers. Creates, nurtures, and enhances supplier relationships.
- Aggressively manages category performance by adhering to internal goals and reviewing financial models for commodity type items. Ensure spend portfolio for reoccurring managed spend is balanced through coordinated sourcing waves and leveraged with Capital project sourcing activities.
- Drive consolidation of spend and seek out synergies across campuses where applicable, by forming and leading cross-functional strategic sourcing teams to develop and implement category/commodity strategies and to drive cost from individual spend sub-categories.
- Coordinate activities with the Strategic Sourcing Specialists on a project by project basis.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5 – 7 years of professional experience directly related to purchasing, category management, or sourcing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office or similar software.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and writing skills needed to present or communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Consistent record of being able to identify and harvest / operationalize cost reduction and sourcing opportunities. Should be able to demonstrate consistent delivery of millions of dollars in cost reduction per annum.
- Experience working in a shared services environment.
- Excellent business partnering, communications skills, and strong process focus.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills (i.e. excel modelling).
- High degree of motivation, the ability to prioritize and self-direct and sound interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills required.
- Typical office environment
- Must be able to travel occasionally to all UMass campuses and the Boston central office
Salary up to $80,000.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.