About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provides for the care and maintenance of lawns, trees, shrubs, flowerbeds, walks, roadways, and parking lots.
- Work closely with Foreman and Crew Leader in installation of landscape construction projects.
- Assists maintenance equipment operator I/II in the excavation to repair steam lines, water main breaks, and collapsed catch basins.
- Assists maintenance equipment operator I/II in the patching of potholes using hot asphalt.
- Assists maintenance equipment operator I/II in the repair of broken sidewalks using hot asphalt.
- Assists maintenance equipment operator I/II in site restoration work by loaming and seeding landscape areas and/or patching/paving asphalt areas.
- Assists construction services mason in the mixing of concrete for the repair of water gate boxes and catch basins.
- Assists construction services mason in the re-setting of bricks, concrete pavers, and cobblestones.
- Operates rakes, wheelbarrows, berm machine, asphalt tamper in the completion of asphalt repair.
- Maintain a clean and safe job site and assist Foreman and Crew Leader in keeping an orderly and stocked equipment trailer.
- Maintain and care for company equipment, tools and vehicles.
- Works as part of a team.
- Attend training classes and seminars as requested by management.
- Operates light trucks and equipment.
- Assists in University snow removal operations by operating light trucks, snow blowers, power shovels, snow shovels, etc.
- Assists in the backfilling and grading of various materials on slopes and level grades, paying attention to detail and working in a neat and orderly manner.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Working knowledge of the types and uses of common hand tools.
- Ability to perform manual labor of a semi-skilled nature.
- Ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and simple mechanical equipment.
- Ability to operate tools used in hardscape maintenance including berm machines, cement mixers, etc.
- Ability to operate light dump trucks and related equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods and under varying climatic conditions.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Must possess at least one year's experience in hardscape maintenance.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Class “D” Driver’s License.
- This position is a maintenance function, which includes the obligation to work overtime and to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed. It is also your responsibility to update the service desk with your current phone numbers.
- Must be available for scheduled overtime and callout during emergencies.
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.