About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Conduct and analyze market research to support identification and promotion of revenue generation opportunities for Auxiliary Enterprises. Participate in the creation, management and execution of department marketing promotion plans and contracts. Assess and document department strategies and outcomes through data driven metrics and reports. Oversee the online & offline brand presence of UMass Auxiliary Enterprises, including Hotel UMass, UMass Dining (residential & retail), UMass Catering, UMass Conference Services, University Club and Restaurant, UMass Dining 5K Event, Sustainability, and off-site brands such as the University of Massachusetts Club in Boston and Mt. Ida Campus. Participate and serve on the Chancellor’s Sustainability Advisory Committee – Marketing Workgroup. Duties include planning & implementing long and short-term marketing strategies for Auxiliary Departments and their key role within the University.
- Achieves marketing operational objectives by contributing marketing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change. Maintain and augment the content on our website
- Accomplishes marketing objectives by planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating advertising, merchandising, and trade promotion programs (by identifying, assembling, and coordinating requirements; establishing contacts; developing schedules and assignments; coordinating mailing lists); and developing field sales action plans. Keeps promotional materials ready by coordinating requirements with graphics department; inventorying stock; placing orders; and verifying receipt.
- Implements marketing and advertising campaigns by assembling and analyzing sales forecasts; preparing marketing and advertising strategies, plans, and objectives; planning and organizing promotional presentations; and updating calendars. Working with content providers to ensure our marketing materials are consistent and represent our messaging and branding.
- Researches competitive products by identifying and evaluating product characteristics, market share, pricing, and advertising; maintaining research databases.
- Accomplishes organizational goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Plans, implements and executes Auxiliary Enterprises (AE) long and short-term marketing strategies to bring positive press and increased revenue to Auxiliary Enterprises. This includes communicating and coordinating marketing strategies with directors & university officials in order to increase their respective brand awareness and generate revenue. Utilizes public relations to promote programs aimed at increasing awareness about UMass Auxiliary Enterprises
- Produces, implements, and oversees AE social media and web communications including AE websites, email campaigns, and blogs. Produces various media, including but not limited to video, creative copy, photographs, and digital image manipulation. Reviews the work of contracted graphic designers to ensure that brand image & messaging is consistent with the goals of Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Develops marketing strategies and assists in the planning and implementation of the annual Tastes of the World: Chef Culinary Conference & Sustainability Pre-Conference. Plans, organizes, and coordinates the annual 5K Dash & Dine at UMass Amherst. Serves as project manager for various other large-scale events within Auxiliary Enterprises. Works closely with the UMass News and Media Relations department as well as other departments such as the Alumni Association on various projects.
- Strategizes and develops applications for national and international awards/grants to strengthen AE & University public relations.
- Represents with the concurrence of the Executive Director of AE the Division’s programs to the community at large; attends professional meetings as appropriate, interacts with external organizations; facilitates and make presentations and seminars at relevant conferences to build relationships and spread awareness of AE brands. Acts as ambassador for the UMass Auxiliary Enterprises Program.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or related field.
- More than five years of experience in market research, marketing communications, advertising, media, promotions, public relations or related area.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of promotional strategies, online marketing and market research methodologies.
- Excellent communication, project management, analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated competency with computers and data systems.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience in a higher education environment.
Schedule may vary based on events; may include weekends and holidays
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.