About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervises unit control by placement and supervision of personnel assigned to food service unit or units under the prescribed operational schedules and guidelines of said unit(s).
- Supervises the serving of products to the customer and the placement of product for most efficient convenience to the customer.
- Supervises the cleanliness of the dining areas and serving areas for sanitation and pleasant atmosphere purposes.
- Supervises the restocking of supplies and products when required and advises the production staff if new product is required so that an even production schedule is maintained.
- Supervises cash handling at the registers and restocking of change when required. Supervises the placement of cash handling areas when required and other related duties.
- Aids the manager or assistant foods manager in the planning of special events such as banquets, conferences or other related duties in the assigned unit(s).
- Aids the manager or assistant foods manager in the placement of assigned personnel for the most efficient production and serving schedule.
- Keeps all records that pertain to cash flow or charges in the unit(s) or any other record keeping related to a unit.
- Responsible for opening and closing procedures and unit security.
- May be assigned to other units within the food service department as business dictates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Two (2) year's of experience in a food service supervisory capacity. At least one (1) year of food service experience in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, retail or catering operation. A diploma or certification from a trade or vocational school with a major in culinary arts may be substituted for the required experience.
- Some knowledge of large scale food service operations.
- Considerable knowledge of cash register operations and other related cash handling procedures.
- Some knowledge of personnel control and personnel record keeping.
- Physically able to perform all tasks related to a normal large scale food service unit.
- Some knowledge of recipe comprehension and menu construction.
- Some knowledge of equipment sanitation and preventative maintenance normally used in a large-scale food service unit.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to work varied shifts and/or irregular hours (i.e. weekends, holidays, nights.)
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
This job may require balancing, carrying, pulling/pushing, repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, sitting, and lifting.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six (6) months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e. ServSafe).
- Varies depending on department needs; may include weekends and holidays.
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit a resume and provide contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.