About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Serves as the Vice Provost’s principal aide for commitments and departmental operations. Proactively manages a wide range of high priority projects and initiatives and organizes, coordinates and translates initiatives and plans into action. Works closely with the Enrollment Management leadership team to execute critical action items needed to achieve University and Vice Provost objectives. Ensures the smooth operation of the Vice Provost’s office and provides a bridge for smooth communication between the office and, internal departments, and other stakeholders. Exercises considerable independent judgement and manages sensitive and/or confidential information with discretion. Assists with complex and confidential matters, including managing external communications and interactions with the Vice Provost, preparation of reports and presentations, coordination of supporting efforts related to projects and initiatives that are sensitive in nature.
- Provides project management, leadership, and support for Vice Provost’s priority projects and initiatives directing efforts to align with constantly evolving priorities.
- Facilitates communications between the Vice Provost and members of the leadership team to foster collaboration and clarify expectations, and establish goals for assigned projects. Tracks accomplishment of short- and long-term departmental goals and key initiatives ensuring commitments and priorities are executed.
- Works in close partnership with senior leadership and other stakeholders to foster cohesion across functional teams in order to improve coordination and implementation, ensuring key initiatives meet defined objectives and expectations.
- Manages follow-through on critical action items ensuring all projects are executed within project timeframe and scope.
- Manages ad-hoc strategic projects and special initiatives that do not have department owners and require cross-functional coordination.
- Maintains accurate status and reporting by ensuring timelines and updates are accurately reflected.
- Resolves issues and solves problems throughout the project life cycle.
- Serves as the Vice Provost’s principal aide and primary liaison for internal and external departmental interactions with the Vice Provost.
- Strategically manages commitments of the Vice Provost’s time and effort. Manages and prepares presentations, memos, proposals, excel spreadsheets and databases, and various other communication collecting cross functional input. Proof, edit, and provide feedback to Vice Provost on strategic communications, often containing confidential and sensitive information.
- Participates in meetings including weekly leadership team meetings; prepares agendas, meeting materials, and captures action items and ensure follow up.
- Coordinates special departmental events including but not limited to all-staff meetings, staff luncheons, student ceremonies, and student and staff recognition celebrations. Works closely with the Leadership Team to coordinate and assist with large department-wide events.
- Oversees all travel arrangements for Vice Provost’s business travel. Processes post travel expense reports for the Vice Provost and other members of the Leadership Team as directed.
- Represents the Vice Provost and the department in an appropriate manner, exercising a high level of discretion and professionalism, tact, confidentiality, and sound judgment.
- Provides general assistance as needed to students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, trustees, donors, and the public at large.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years of professionally relevant work experience or:
- Associate’s degree and seven (7) years of professionally relevant work experience.
- High School Diploma/GED and nine (9) years of professionally relevant work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to establish and maintain positive working relationships with external and internal constituents and ensure collaboration and cooperation among administrative units.
- Demonstrated ability to independently set priorities, plan, organize, coordinate and direct multiple, concurrent projects and complex tasks, coupled with the ability to develop and move strategic agendas forward and drive a high volume of work to completion.
- Project management expertise with a proven record of performance driven results. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to utilize independent judgment and manage sensitive and/or confidential information with discretion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with diverse constituencies.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Occasional travel required.
Exempt Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Search may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.