Supervisor of Janitors (SW/S Facilities Operations)
Job no: 519148
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: SW/S Facilities Operations
Pay Grade: 14
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Supervisor of Janitors supervises a staff engaged in a program of cleaning in academic, residential, research, and other buildings on the University campus.
- Exercises supervision by directing the work of custodial employees to ensure well organized and completed tasks for clean, safe, and habitable conditions and assists in planning work schedules and assignments in consultation with his/her supervisor to ensure equitable assignments. Maintains work scheduling and work management using work management software.
- Supervises the cleaning of restrooms, offices, classrooms, laboratories, corridors, stairwells, elevators, blackboards, entryways and entry mats, water fountains, and other spaces in assigned buildings, in order to provide a clean, attractive facility.
- Conducts a continuing training program for employees in cleaning methods and technical tasks, by lecture, demonstration and on-the-job training. Training will cover building services, equipment, materials, procedures, techniques, safety and interpersonal skills.
- Supervises employees who participate in the care of carpeted areas to prolong carpet life and maintain cleanliness by vacuuming, spot removal and shampooing.
- Supervises the performance of simple repairs by replacing belts, tightening screws and cleaning of equipment in order to keep all machinery in good working condition. Makes minor repairs in equipment, such as vacuum cleaners, buffers, automatic scrubbers, and carpet extractors.
- Operates motor vehicles to transport people or supplies to the work site and to conduct supervision of onsite staff.
- Makes periodic work site inspections to ensure efficient utilization of personnel and materials and compliance with work standards. May discuss quality and quantity of work performance with employee.
- Supervises custodial staff in snow removal operations. Supervises unlocking and locking of premises to maintain security and provide ease of entry.
- Supervises and monitors proper use of materials, supplies, and equipment. Oversees package delivery within building.
- Supervises these tasks to maintain safe and sanitary conditions:
- Recycling and trash removal and the cleaning of waste receptacles to provide sanitary conditions.
- Cleaning of restrooms and replenishing of paper products, soap products, and sanitary napkin dispensers.
- Care of hard floor surfaces, cleaning of upholstered furniture, and cleaning of glass.
- Replacement of light bulbs and fluorescent tubes and washing of light fixtures.
- Removal of spilled or leaking water from buildings.
- Cleaning areas immediately adjacent to buildings by sweeping and snow shoveling and by applying sand or chemicals as necessary.
- Cleaning and treatment of dust mops and cleaning cloths and the cleaning of various items with a high-pressure washer.
- Supervises arranging of furniture and set-up/knock-down of tables, chairs, and tarpaulins for University functions. Assists in coordination of turnover of live-in staff apartments. Conducts job site inspections to determine compliance with University specification on projects awarded to outside contractors.
- Evaluates the abilities, knowledge, and skills of the staff in his/her assigned area through periodic meetings, and through the completion of the Annual Performance Review to ensure the competencies of the employees.
- Submits reports, initiates work orders, and maintains department records and statistics, including attendance, maintenance, supplies and inventory, and training records.
- Assists in the preparation of work standards and work schedules to maintain an APPA Level 3 campus standard of cleanliness.
- Assists in the selection of personnel for employment as Maintainer I and Maintainer II by interviewing and recommending applicants to ensure adequate staffing.
- Reports absenteeism. Grants and schedules accrued leave time.
- Conducts tests of new materials and equipment for use in building service and submits written reports of results. Drafts correspondence and maintains records using a computer. Submits purchase requests to supervisor for the purchase of equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the workplace and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers and staff.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma or equivalent plus at least three (3) years’ supervisory experience in janitorial or facility maintenance.
- Valid Class D Driver’s License.
- Considerable knowledge of cleaning and equipment, materials and methods used in the custodial maintenance of buildings and furnishings, including proper techniques of carpet maintenance.
- Ability to supervise staff in the execution of their duties, including planning and assigning work. Ability to determine staff training needs and to provide instruction or to arrange for training. Ability to determine the need for disciplinary action, then either recommending or initiating disciplinary action.
- Knowledge of the principals and methods of inventory control of supplies and equipment, including safe storage of cleaning supplies and materials and requisitioning supplies.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Ability to keep records and make reports.
- Ability to plan and organize work schedules and prepare contingency work schedules when faced with reduced staff or high absenteeism.
- Ability to make on the job decisions.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, including following oral or written instructions in English.
- Ability to make minor repairs of equipment including vacuum cleaners, buffers, automatic scrubbers, and carpet extractors.
- Practical knowledge of personal computer software, Microsoft Office applications such as Windows, Word, and Excel.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Must be able to climb stairs, lift up to fifty (50) pounds, and climb ladders. Also requires balancing, carrying, pulling/pushing, repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, sitting, twisting, lifting, and typical office environment activity.
- This position is designated as essential.
- Responds to emergency situations during and outside of regular shift.
- This position is a maintenance function, which includes the obligation to work overtime and to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed. Employee is required to inform University of a current contact telephone number.
- Willingness to change work shift when requested on either the day or night shift.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete the application in full, submit resume and provide provide name and contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Expression of interest
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.