Departmental Assistant - Education & Job Coach
Job no: 521492
Work type: Hourly
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Disability Services
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Categories: Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Education & Job Coach will learn the duties and responsibilities from the Education/Job Coach Trainer and Administrative staff to be able to perform these duties for the MAICEI/DRIVEE programs.
- Learn duties and responsibilities through program training.
- Support MAICEI/DRIVEE student participants through interventions that meet students where they are to promote student independence in academics, employment, social and emotional, and executive functioning supports.
- Ensures comprehension and execution of diverse strategies and interventions for supporting student participants to work toward independence across multiple skills sets within the three pillars of programming being academic, employment, and social/emotional for the MAICEI/DRIVEE programs.
- Learn the most common intervention support needs which include: learning & following schedules, using email & university systems such as Blackboard and Moodle, use communication approaches with others based upon role and need, time management skills, classroom culture support, notetaking, accommodations and modifications, understanding and following a syllabus, comprehension of the Ed Coach/Student Agreement, comprehension of Work Based Learning Plan assessment cultural language, internship specific skills, what to do for campus emergencies, participating in campus activities, how to use of free time, study skills supports, transportation, and more.
- Build a professional rapport with the student participant and the university faculty/staff affiliated with student programming.
- Maintain clear professional boundaries and work with student participants to meet them where they are at for skills and work to support and encourage growth in these.
- Assess student participant levels of performance across multiple domains and skill sets in academics, employment, social/emotional, and executive functioning.
- Utilize MAICEI/DRIVEE assessments, cultural language for assessments, teach students as needed, and support student participants in understanding program assessments to help track their individual growth.
- Support students during academic and employment advising.
- Give instructions in classes and internship sites to students in the language or modalities that the student will best understand.
- Support student success through the understanding of student strengths and needs.
- Support student comprehension of university systems including use of technology and procedures.
- Communicate with Interim Coordinator as needed in timely fashion.
- Adhere to and model all MAICEI/DRIVEE & university rules and policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities in an academic setting or employment setting.
- Experience using computer technology.
- Strong knowledge of UMass Amherst systems and culture as it relates to UMass Amherst MAICEI/DRIVEE inclusive learning.
- Ability to accompany students for all aspects of programming for time sensitive appointments.
- Ability to travel across campus for transitions.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- M-F; Variable schedule, 32 hours/week.
- This is a temporary, unbenefited position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit resume, cover letter and provide contact information for three (3) professional references. Posting will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend