OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Instructional Technologist
DIVISION: Administration & Facilities
BARGANINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 13
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Instructional Technology
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Instructional Technologist provides direct technical support and training to faculty, staff and students in the use of university-supported instructional technologies utilized in face-to-face, online, blended, and hyflex courses. In close coordination with other team and department members, the incumbent assists with deployment, implementation, and servicing of online and classroom-based technology in the support of teaching and learning. The Instructional Technologist evaluates emerging and evolving technologies with the goal of improving or enhancing the University's instructional effectiveness and actively seek improvements in their daily workflows and processes to improve efficiency. The Instructional Technologist provides excellent customer service to our campus community in support of the academic and research mission at UMass Dartmouth.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assists in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Works as a member of the Instructional Development team in the training and support of faculty utilizing the campus Learning Management System (LMS)
• Collaborates with team members and receives functional direction in supporting, administering, and providing training for classroom-based and online instructional technology
• Provides direct technical support to faculty, staff, and students for all campus-supported instructional tools and services
• Assists with assessing and testing of new technologies, services, and emerging trends in higher education
• Creates text and video-based support materials for campus-supported instructional technology tools
• Conducts training and workshops in the use of instructional technologies for faculty and staff as needed
• Assists the Instructional Development team in efforts to achieve ADA compliance in course sites and instructional technology tools
• Promotes and facilitates the utilization of educational technologies across campus
• Works proactively and cooperatively with Instructional Development and IT Service Center staff to provide excellent customer service
• Assists with planning IT-related campus events, seminars, and conferences
• Logs inquiries in the IT case management system and ensures resolution in cooperation with the CITS Service Center team
• Works with customers to understand their technology needs and priorities
• Documents work and issue resolution for future reference
• Promotes cross-team and cross-functional collaboration and knowledge sharing
• Participates in professional development opportunities
• Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned and/or the job description changed periodically to reflect changing organization needs
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in any field
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated experience (over 3 years) supporting classroom-based and/or online instructional technologies
Previous experience (over 1 year) working in a case management system.
OTHER: Will need to be available for off-hours, evening and/or weekends as projects dictate
Will need to lift and move technology equipment.
Some travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Evidence of creativity, attention to detail, and collaborative approaches to work
• Ability to learn and adapt new technologies
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and work assignments successfully in a collaborative environment
• Significant issue resolution skills
• Ability to approach projects and problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation
• Ability to make written and oral presentations clearly and effectively
• Ability to create and maintain technical documentation (i.e. workflow diagrams, implementation instructions.)
• Ability to carry light to moderate-weight equipment and climb a ladder for the purposes of deploying new technology
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work with a diverse University community
• Positive customer service attitude, patience with customers
• Excellent organizational skills
• Bachelor’s degree in information technology related field
• Significant (over 5 years) higher education experience working with classroom-based and/or online instructional technologies
Salary: $52,756 - $68,000
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays.
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time.
Benefits for ESU Union: ESU
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is 02/19/204.
The review of applications will begin 02/20/2024 and will be ongoing.