Identify Management Specialist
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Identity Management Specialist will help develop, implement, monitor, and continually improve procedures, and resource allocations to ensure professional, high quality technology support and services to the UMass Amherst Campus including its executives, faculty, staff, and administrators. This individual will support directory services including Active Directory, principal authentication/authorization and federation, and the integration of these services with other University IT systems. Ensure that the campus is in compliance with University policies and procedures, along with federal and state laws.
- Design, deploy and support enterprise class authentication, identity management, and directory services integral to the entire campus community.
- Participate in the planning of both short and long term goals and directions for Enterprise Services.
- Develop tools for automation of tasks and integration of other central IT services.
- Provide leadership on teams, projects, and deployment of IT services.
- Monitor system performance and tune or otherwise adjust system resources to maintain efficient and equitable use of Enterprise Services managed resources by the campus community.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Provide consulting to IT and other campus staff on matters related to identity management.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years of professional experience in Identify Management OR
- Associate degree with five years of professional experience in Identify Management
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills to plan, recommend, implement and monitor effective and efficient processes and to identify problems and implement solutions.
- Experience in automated Identity Management and administering Active Directory, including configuration, troubleshooting and provisioning solutions for large numbers of users
- In-depth familiarity with LDAP, SAML, Shibboleth and other related technologies.
- Cross-platform systems administration skills, including Windows and UNIX/Linux.
- Ability to engineer enterprise-level and mission-critical services with an emphasis on high-availability security, and scalability.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and a proven history of implementing cross-departmental initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A degree in IT related field is strongly preferred
- Knowledge and ability to system script with technologies such as Powershell, Perl, Bash.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity
- 37.5 hours a week
- Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Required to work some nights and weekends
- Required to participate team on-call rotation
PSU 26 with associated pay grade of 28
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration; applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.