Postdoctoral Research Associate - Plastics Engineering
Job no: 511690
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Plastics Engineering
Pay Grade: PD
Categories: Laboratory & Research, Research
General Summary of Position:
The successful applicant will conduct analytical and experimental research in the areas of Plastics Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical with an emphasis on Development of phase change materials (FCPCM) for thermal management. Assist in submitting reports, scholarly articles, and proposals.
The initial appointment will be for approximately 1 year with a possibility of renewal based on productivity and performance and the availability of funding.
Essential Job Duties:
Conduct analytical and experimental research under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI). This specifically involves:
- Acquire or synthesize multifunctional materials & design effective phase change materials.
- Synthesize PCM impregnated foams for thermal management (cooling of batteries)
- Develop appropriate engineering systems to support PCM integrated foams for cooling
- Evaluate the material properties and performance of the developed materials
- Ensuring all project-related activities are conducted on time and to the highest standard
- Prepare status reports and deliverables in collaboration with and under the direction of the PI
- Serve as a liaison between PI and collaborating research partners
- Ensuring all deliverables are delivered on time and to the highest standard
The successful candidate will be expected to initiate and assist in the formulation and writing of externally funded research proposals. This effort will include finding appropriate opportunities, finding collaborative partners, generating preliminary data, and proposal writing.
The successful candidate will be expected to publish at least two articles per year in peer-reviewed scientific journals based on the research conducted. Papers and presentations in scientific conferences will also be required. Development of patentable technologies over the course of the project will also be expected.
Attend Meetings related to the research projects:
- Conduct weekly group meeting between PI, Post-Docs and students
Supervision of Undergraduate and Graduate Students:
- Meet weekly with each student to review their research project, progress, papers and to develop path forward
Other Job Duties:
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- PhD in Materials Science/Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, or related field
- Minimum five years of experience (including MS and PhD. research experience) in research related to material science
- Ability to work as a team player
- Strong technical report writing and communication skills
- Experience in the development and synthesis of PCM materials for thermal management
- Knowledge of heat transfer and thermodynamics related to PCM
- Familiarity with analytical methods for the characterization of synthesized materials
- Publications in the field of material science or related fields
- Ability to work independently, with limited direction, as well as within a team environment
- Ability to mentor and inspire students with limited research experience
- Makes recommendations regarding research methods and materials
- The work required is highly technical and analytical. A high degree of analytical ability, and innovative thinking is required.
- This role will involve communication inside the University with individuals in other departments. It will also involve communications outside of the University.
- * The ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding. The initial appointment will be for approximately 1 year with a possibility of renewal based on productivity and performance and the availability of funding.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend