About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Director of the Civic Initiative provides strategic leadership and direction for the business unit. The Director oversees all aspects of the business, operations, and infrastructure of the Civic Initiative, including guidance of its team of managers, advisors, mentors, and support staff. The Director works to develop and sustain grant and contract activity in response to client needs and funding opportunities.
- Responsible for leadership, vision, strategic planning and oversight to ensure the long-term sustainability and growth of the business unit.
- Responsible for business development, including identification and exploration of potential new markets for the business unit, generation of new client leads and strengthening of existing client relationships, project conceptualization, proposal development and negotiation, budgeting, staffing and contracting.
- Makes or recommends personnel actions including hiring, promoting, transferring, discipline, rewarding and terminating employees.
- Oversees all budgets and timelines to ensure that project goals are met within budget.
- Maintains currency with relevant issues affecting the business unit, including, but not limited to: public policy (federal and state), business climate and trends and research trends and issues.
- Develops and provides high quality, relevant in-person and virtual content for each program.
- Oversees the provision of on-going and quarterly reporting to sponsor and partner organizations, as appropriate.
- Oversees the complex series of logistical details such as travel, housing, food, transport, and health for participants both within the United States and in host countries around the world.
- Ensures respectful response to the vast cultural differences presented by participants from around the world.
- Collaborates with University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute’s (UMDI) senior leadership team and other business unit directors, by contributing to major institute-wide strategic initiatives and development efforts, referring potential business leads to other business units and identifying and developing opportunities for cross-unit collaboration.
- Delivers public presentations as appropriate to support clients’ dissemination needs and to market the services of the Civic Initiative and UMDI.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Sociology, Public Administration, International Relations, Education, Entrepreneurship, or other related discipline.
- Seven (7) years of experience designing and delivering programs and/or curriculum to a diverse international audience including:
- Five (5) years of business development experience, including successful prospecting and proposal writing, and a clear track record of developing and maintaining relationships with client groups and funders in the public and private sectors.
- Five (5) years of leadership and management experience, including managing personnel and budgets.
- Familiarity with current events, issues, and trends in key fields and markets served by the Civic Initiative, such as those priorities set and implemented by the U.S Department of State, International Organizations, and other government and private funders.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience in creating and managing in-person overseas programs.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience in designing and conducting programs and/or curriculum focused on reaching international audiences.
- Seven (7) or more years of business development and management experience.
- Experience developing grant and contract funded work from federal sources and foundations, and in systems and process improvement.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in stationary position using office equipment and computers.
- Environment is a busy, collegial office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Must have flexibility to travel regularly within Massachusetts and the Northeast U.S. Periodic national and international travel, often to places on the State Department warning list, is required.
- A concentration of hours in the summer months when most programs take place.
- Some transporting of supplies up to 20 pounds.
- Full-time professional work schedule consisting of five, eight-hour days and 40 hours each work week.
- Work performed in addition to the regular work hours, and availability at times outside the normal work schedule may be necessary at specific times, to accommodate variations in client and work demands.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts and is contingent upon funding.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- This is a full time, benefited position.
- Applicants who are not authorized to work in the U.S. will not be considered.
- Any job offer is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- Please visit the UMass Donahue Institute YouTube Channel for more information.
- 40 hours per week.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the university as an arrangement where an employee's work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position is non-unit, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees Non-Unit (Professional/or Classified) Employee Personnel Policy.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled. In person interviews will take place in Hadley, MA.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.