About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervises and assists in the performance of custodial work in the Campus Center Student Union Complex; moves furniture; makes repairs; maintains records; performs related work as required.
- Plans and lays out work schedules and assignments of Maintainers and other assigned personnel.
- Supervises and assists in setting rooms, cleaning offices, rooms, corridors, rest rooms and other spaces within the complex and the immediately adjacent outside premises to accommodate the public use of the facilities.
- Supervise and assist in the cleaning of woodwork, cleaning, waxing, polishing and buffing of floors and the shampooing and cleaning of carpets to maintain department standards.
- Supervise and assist in the emptying of waste barrels, garbage cans, recycling containers and other waste and trash receptacles to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Supervise and assist in the moving of furniture using manual or mechanical means to improve appearance, facilitate maintenance and cleaning or meet user requirements.
- Locks or unlocks premises and performs other similar security tasks in conjunction with the building rules and regulations.
- Supervises and assists in sweeping, cleaning and snow removal on walks terraces and steps in the immediately adjacent outside premises of the Campus Center Complex to maintain safe conditions and an attractive facility.
- Requisitions cleaning and other supplies and equipment using department forms and procedures; issues supplies to cleaning staff; maintains an inventory of supplies in accordance with department policy and procedure.
- Performs simple general repairs by replacing belts, tightening screws and cleaning of equipment in order to keep all machinery and equipment in good working condition.
- Maintains time records of subordinates and general records; makes required reports in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Trains employees in cleaning and building custodial operations following department guidelines and procedures for staff training.
- Complies with all applicable University and departmental policies and procedures.
- Assumes the responsibilities of the Supervisor of Janitors in his/her absence.
- Assists with building security responsibilities following the procedures whenever necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least one (1) year of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in building custodial or institutional housekeeping work.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
- Knowledge of the methods followed in building custodial work.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in building custodial work.
- Knowledge of the standard procedures followed in the storage of building custodial and cleaning materials.
- Ability to give oral and written instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work; determining subordinates training needs and providing or arranging for such training; determining the need for disciplinary action and either recommending or initiating disciplinary action.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, climb, reach, sit, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
- This position is designated as on call.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- 7 pm - 3 am, rotating schedule; may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- 40 hours per week.
AFSCME Non-Exempt, Grade 11.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.