Temporary Hire: Upward Bound Foreign Language Teacher - GRANT-FUNDED
Job no: 517859
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Dartmouth
Department: Upward Bound
Categories: Sponsored Programs, Grants and Contracts, Temporary Non-Benefited
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Upward Bound Foreign Language Teacher (GRANT-FUNDED)
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
NO. OF POSITIONS: 1
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $25.00 - $30.00/hour (Commensurate with experience)
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Upward Bound and Program Coordinator
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To provide instruction in a six-week summer residential program to students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds and seek to promote the total growth of the student as a primary objective.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and teach high school level curriculum in appropriate subject matter
- Plan and develop pre- and post-testing in your specialized field
- Provide tutorial assistance to students
- Document and prepare written reports on students’ progress
- Enforce all Upward Bound rules and regulations
- Assist in supervision at program events and activities
- Assist the Director with other functions as required for program effectiveness
- Participate in teacher orientation prior before summer program
- Attend weekly 1-hour staff meetings
- Complete a final evaluation for each student
- Other program related duties, as assigned by the Director
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in respective discipline.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of successful teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
OTHER: Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of low-income students and disadvantaged youth. Position starts on June 26, 2023 – July 28, 2023. Teaching responsibilities consist of teaching 4 days a week and up to 4 subjects in respective discipline.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to develop and teach high school level classes in respective discipline
- Ability to tutor students
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Proven ability to effectively manage a classroom of “at risk” students
- Demonstrated strong academic preparation for relevant field of instruction
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts Core Standards preferred, or a willingness to be acquainted with standards
- Familiarity dealing with students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds
- Massachusetts Teacher Certification
- Teaching experience, preferably with urban youth and those with disparate learning needs
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend