Would you like to be part of a dynamic team of people committed to promoting healthier businesses and communities in Massachusetts and beyond? As TURI’s Office Assistant, you will play a critical role in our success.
The Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) is a research and education institute located at UMass Lowell. TURI's mission is to implement the Commonwealth’s Toxics Use Reduction Act by developing and facilitating the adoption of safer solutions to the use of toxic chemicals. The Institute assists Massachusetts companies, environmental health and safety professionals, and communities in their toxics use reduction efforts through education and training, research, grants, laboratory services, information and technical support for companies and communities.
The TURI Office Assistant will be an essential part of the team, supporting the Institute’s work by providing general administrative support, including:
- Contracting with vendors, students and stakeholders, managing TURI’s purchasing process, and facilitating the hiring of temporary employees, research assistants and students.
- Facilitating successful events by tracking attendee registrations and payments, maintaining databases, and providing on-site event support.
- Assisting with tracking of financial information, such as event income, student payroll costs, and internal and external grant expenditures.
- Supporting our electronic operations through various IT support activities, such as assisting with videoconferences and helping to troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
- Helping to keep our web site current.
- Creating a welcoming atmosphere for staff and visitors through reception and general administrative support.
TURI is currently testing a hybrid work arrangement. After a sufficient training period, the Office Assistant may be able to work from home one or two days per week.
TURI’s small but diverse and dynamic team of scientists, policy experts, engineers, and other professionals collaborate with businesses and researchers to develop innovative solutions to protect people and the environment from harmful substances.
TURI strives to provide a supportive and welcoming work environment that encourages open communication, professional growth, and interpersonal connection. We value empowerment, respect, collaboration, empathy, innovation, and trustworthiness. We offer staff the opportunity to develop a variety of skills while making a positive impact on the world.
TURI has existed since the Toxics Use Reduction Act of 1989 was enacted and is funded by the Massachusetts state legislature through the annual state budget process. Applicants are advised that although TURI employees are treated as employees of the University of Massachusetts Lowell, salary funding is contingent upon this annual appropriation.
The University provides a robust package of benefits to TURI employees, including paid holiday, vacation, sick leave and personal leave time; medical, dental, vision, life, workers’ comp, and long-term disability insurance; retirement/pension plans; voluntary savings programs; flexible spending accounts; tuition discounts for employees and their families; purchasing discounts; and access to intellectual and recreational resources. UMass Lowell also offers a “Live in Lowell” program that offers a financial incentive to staff who move to Lowell from outside the city.
Learn more about TURI. Learn more about UMass Lowell.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
High school diploma or GED/ equivalent
• 5 years of administrative experience (can substitute post-high school education for up to 3 years of experience)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Demonstrated ability to learn new software and systems
• Excellent English-language written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with UMass procurement and hiring systems such as BuyWays, DocuSign, HR Direct, JobHawk, and PageUp, or similar systems
- Experience with database software such as Microsoft Access
- Experience with webinar and communications software such as Zoom, Constant Contact, and Microsoft Teams
- Basic understanding of purchasing and accounting principles
- An interest in or willingness to learn basic IT support
- Customer service skills
- Post-high school coursework
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P14.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.